Thomas Friedman’s latest column is the most appalling I have ever read in the pages of the New York Times. (Yes, I know that’s saying a lot.) Let me summarize:
- “One-party autocracy certainly has its drawbacks.”
- But China’s autocracy is run by “a reasonably enlightened group of people.”
- That gives China an advantage because Chinese autocrats can impose (his word) critically important policies.
- Our system is worse than China’s.
- Because we have Republicans.
I cannot believe I am not making this up. Friedman is ready to abandon democracy because it is failing to bring about the policies he favors. He prefers autocracy, if it is run by the right people.
Anyway, now that Friedman is officially a fascist, I believe we have license to dismiss anything he says in the future.