Thoughts on President Obama’s address:
- I was glad to hear him give the war on terror as the first challenge facing our country. It indicates that he has some idea the job that’s facing him.
- I was surprised to hear him sound the note of malaise. Do Americans really think our country’s best times are behind us? Perhaps on the left they do.
- His pledge to put petty grievances behind us won’t please his supporters who want to prosecute the Bush Administration.
- Would it have been so hard to mention a contemporary battle (say, Fallujah) in his list of important historical battles?
- I’ll be very surprised to see a single government program ended merely because it doesn’t work.