This is starting to remind me of how my pre-schooler tells jokes. She’ll tell any joke that ever drew a laugh over and over again. Did you hear the one about the Obama nominee that didn’t pay his/her taxes?
The latest tax evader cum public servant is Ron Kirk, President Obama’s nominee for US Trade Representative:
Former Dallas mayor Ron Kirk, who is President Obama’s nominee to be the U.S. Trade Representative, failed to pay almost $10,000 in taxes during the past three years because of a series of mistakes, the Senate Finance Committee announced today.
Kirk’s errors involved honoraria from speeches, on which he should have paid taxes; the cost of sports games, for which he deducted too much; and improper treatment of accounting fees on his income taxes. Kirk has agreed to file amended returns.
Here’s the updated scorecard:
- Geithner, Treasury Secretary (confirmed)
- Daschle, HHS Secretary (withdrawn)
- Killefer, “Chief Performance Officer” (withdrawn)
- Solis, Labor Secretary (confirmed)
- Emanuel, Chief of Staff (no confirmation required)
- Kirk, US Trade Representative (still nominated)
UPDATE: Solis has already been confirmed. I’ve corrected the scorecard.